Tuesday, March 29, 2011

20 miler & feeling good

OK, I'm behind again.. I blame it on my head.. I keep meaning to do it... heck, I also keep meaning to call someone to fix the fridge that has been broken for 3 weeks. I guess because we have a beer fridge in the garage... I just don't get stuff done and am still not me. Anyway - Posting what I wanted to last week. I WILL catch up! :)

I saw the neurologist again and he said it was OK that I ran 17 the other day because I was smart in running with the group and at a slower pace. He gave me the green light to increase my workouts as I see fit (he said before he wants me to interpret how I see best since I know more about running than he does). He said as long as I am smart and stop if there is an issue. He also had me scheduled for a brain scan.

Thursday 3/17, I had down 3x1 mile. OK.. this is actually the last track workout I had done.. I had 1 mile, 2 mile, 2x800 that I turned into 3x1 mile with 2x800 when my ears popped and blew off the 800's and made the appointment for the neurologist - so kind of ironic. The pace was the same as what I did before - a hair slower than 7. I started on the first, no problem except I forgot to take my inhaler (ugh! - this makes me breathe harder and can raise my HR which is bad for my noggin). I waited for my friend to finish hers (around 8 minutes) then we did 1 lap rest. I took the inhaler of course, then started #2. My head started hurting on lap 2. On lap 3, my arm went numb. UGH!!! I was well behaved and didn't finish the lap, I stopped after 300 meters of it, then when my friend came back around, ran the rest with her. My class showed so I bagged the 3rd (was going to do at 8 pace) and ran the warm up with my class. They had 400's so I ran all over the field. I ran one with my fastest girl who was going at 7 minute mile pace and woah - that felt like 6 minute mile to me. Workout over, just cooled down.

Friday the doc left a message on my voice mail - no brain bleed, no blood clot, no bruise. So far, it looks like the brain should heal itself in time. I'm a go for Sunday. Saturday I entered the "Masters category". Sunday I headed out to coach the 9:30/mile pace group for their 20. Surprisingly, I spent the majority of it in the front telling them to slow down. It was a really hilly loop. We stop every couple miles and at 12 I noticed my stomach was VERY punchy. That was my only issue. The sun came out and it got very warm. I let them pick it up for the last 4 miles and we ran right at 9 pace. I kind of charged a small hill at 19 and saw my legs still responded. I was dehydrated from doing shots the day before. Bad, but what can you do. Oh, and my feet were in pain when I woke up that morning from wearing high heals from going out. Hey, I didn't plan a 20 mile run the day after my birthday.. I would have slept in.. heck, I'm old. Anyway, the run gave me confidence. :)

When I was getting my brain scan, some woman who was there for a test looked at me and said, "was it a man?". HAHAHAHAHA!!! I looked at her, taken aback and said, "no", she said, "You need to leave him", then I busted up laughing so hard, I said, "no, it wasn't a man". HAHAHAHA!! Heck, it was a little old woman in her upper 80's if not 90 years old! HAHAHA!!! Never even thought about having a head injury and anyone thinking my husband beat me. I now find it important to mention how it happened quickly after someone finds out. HAHAHA!!! I'll post about last weekend soon!! :) hopefully I will have called someone about the fridge by then.

9 comments:

DawnB said...

I had to go back a post to find out what happen and why you were seeing a neurologist. I am so sorry to hear what happen but very happy that you will be fine and is still on track for Boston!!!Happy Birtday by the way and welcome to masters although I personally feel this is the hardest age group to be in and forget it if if you are not as fast as you lol. Anyway thank you for stoping by and giving me such encouraging kudos, I can wait for Boston!! wish you wer close by too really could us you coach, you are good at what you do and I really could ust a PR :)

Dubs said...

Thanks Dawn! If you ever run a race in the Dallas area - I'm so there! I wish I could run with you! :)

I noticed all the fast girls are in their 20's or moved into Masters... ugh! Some of them are ones that show up for a race EVERY weekend. LOL!! It will be tough!

Ewen said...

Happy belated birthday! And you're NOT old. My UK mate Rick just ran a lifetime half marathon PB at 50, so keep on truckin' after those PBs.

Very happy to hear all seems right with your noggin (that it will heal by itself). That must be a relief. Take care, and thanks for saying I'm not slow :)

Dubs said...

Thanks Ewen!

I'll say it again because it is true!

YOU ARE NOT SLOW, YOU ARE NOT SLOW, YOU ARE NOT SLOW! :) If you come to the US and down to Dallas or even Phoenix - I can have you go for a run with some guys out here that will talk about how fast you are as you push the pace or drop them all together. :)

speedygeoff said...

My goodness! Ewen is allowed to stay in my training group, which contains the oldest and slowest runners in Australia, because with him in the group everyone else is fast by comparison. It makes them feel really good.

How come you guys are even slower? It must be the food.

Oh, and happy April One everybody.

Ewen said...

Ha! Yes, my purpose in life is to make other runners feel fast ;)

Fact: Speedygeoff is the slowest runner Monday nights; I am the second slowest, not far behind two youthful 65 and 60-year-old ladies.

Bob said...

Hey, really great blog post… I've enjoyed reading through your blog because of the great style and energy you put into each post. I actually run AceHealth.org, a blog of my personal research and experiences. If you're interested, I would love to have you on as a guest blogger. Please send me an e-mail: bob.mauer65(at)gmail(dot)com, and I can give you more information. Looking forward to hearing from you.

DawnB said...

Hey you stoping by to say hello, Happy Holidays to you!! hope all is well .

DawnB said...

Hey you stoping by to say hello, Happy Holidays to you!! hope all is well .